A place to share daily grind challenges, perspective altering experiences, and ah-ha moments.

February 17, 2011

London Fog

I was watching Mad Men on the plane the other day (a guilty pleasure), in which they spoke of the controversial name of their client, London Fog. Apparently the famous London “fog” was not fog at all, but rather the residue from industrial plants. Hmmm. Interesting, particularly given I was watching it with London tour information in my bag and pounds in my purse.

Today, I’m here, with a day on my own to explore. The forecast: sun. Looking out the window: fog??? It looks to me like fog, or at least a pretty dense cloud cover.  My plan was to wake, ingest protein shake, workout, shower, dress, grab coffee, and hit the streets. Instead I woke, rolled over, heard the gym’s closed for a few weeks, ate shortbread cookies from the tea tray, and jumped online. I comb the facebook recommendations, magazines and guidebooks for an idea of where to begin. I’m overwhelmed. There’s so much to see that the four days I have are truly insufficient. Tomorrow, we’re planning the tour bus and boat to see all the monuments and famous landmarks. Saturday, the thing I’m really looking forward to, Notting Hill and the Portobello market (I am a sucker for romantic comedies). Sunday, who knows? Gardens, museums, quaint neighborhoods, theater, Indian food? It’s a lot to squeeze in. That said, the thought of any of it makes me want to climb back in bed and pull the covers over my head. I have no energy to fumble with maps, walk for miles and find my way… not today.

One of the things I recommend to clients when they’re in a “funk” is to take a hot bath or shower (it’s hard for the brain to hold onto emotions when it’s focused on physical sensations like hot or cold). Thirty minutes later, my shower turned into a bath. A scalding hot bath finished with ice cold water on my feet and face. Still, I feel neither refreshed nor invigorated, and the fog’s still there. So, I sit and type, as the “shoulds” whirl around my head. “I’m wasting my time in my room. I should be out exploring this reportedly amazing city. “ SHUT UP!

So, I’ve revised my plan. Put down laptop, get dressed, find coffee and assess what I feel like doing (after all this is MY vacation). To venture out into London or wait ‘til my London fog lifts? I’ll keep you posted.

----
An update... First, protein makes a much better breakfast than shortbread. Who knew? Anyway, I made it out of my room just in time to catch the noon cutoff for breakfast at a local cafe. Laughed to myself as I watched a French woman storm out of the cafe, seemingly in response to being asked to move down one table to one that was already cleaned. When her family didn't follow, she pridefully stayed outside and out of sight while they sat and drank their beer (and this was not a quick table turning establishment, mind you). After breakfast, I leisurely strolled through what, judging by the lanterns, appeared to be China Town, into Covent Garden (thanks for the recommendation Amy) to see the beautiful market and a half naked Londoner "entertaining" in nothing but his Union Jack boxers and a mohawk. Now, I make a pitstop in the room to drop my books, pick up more London recs from my local Facebook friend, and grab supplies for my leisurely afternoon. It's off to the park with my latest Anias Nin, ipod and sunglasses (yep, sun's finally out-ish). London, I'm beginning to really like you.

2 comments:

  1. Always enjoy your insights & writing style. A book in the future, or a newspaper columnist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the honesty. London is the best place to be without a plan. I love to wander. You always find the best when you're not looking for it.

    ReplyDelete