A place to share daily grind challenges, perspective altering experiences, and ah-ha moments.

October 16, 2011

Five Simple Words

Five simple words, one big choice. There I stood at the gymnasium, 6-year-olds filing in toward the bouncy house, volume ratcheting up, florescent lights above, pizza and cupcakes in wait. Two hours of bliss, if you’re six. If you’re 37, TORTURE! After a few minutes of small talk regarding new school adjustment, soccer schedules and such, the hostess generously offered a choice, “you can stay or go.” A moment of hesitation...

As I describe it here, it seems an easy decision, but it wasn’t (not for a recovering perfectionist anyway). This was a chance to get to know parents from my kiddo’s new school (a challenge for an introvert who hates small talk) that I typically won’t pass up. On the occasion that I do pass it up, it’s usually for a “good” reason, like errands - you know, being productive with every smidge of time.  Fortunately, (partially because I had my own 6-year-old’s party just last weekend), I was able to resist the whispering “shoulds” and briskly walk out the door.

Luxembourg Gardens, Paris
Some background: A year ago I spent 10 days in Paris and Dublin, a last minute tag-along for my hubby’s work trip (the upside of a traveling hubby is plenty of sky miles). Now, when I catch an Eiffel Tower or Cliffs of Moher photo on my rotating screensaver, I experience a twinge of longing, thinking back on the my stroll through the Luxembourg Gardens, or listening to street performance by a Dublin rock band. With no grocery lists, no bedtime routines, no schedules to keep, I’d watch the people, take in the architecture, and absorb every bit of the vibrant cities. Nothing to do but explore, sit, breathe, eat, drink, enjoy, observe.

During my 10 days abroad, we had maybe two without rain, but abroad, the rain was romantic. Back home, not so much. I initially love the fall. I watch the forecast shift from 80 and sunny, to cool and sunny, to chance of intermittent drizzle, to showers, to rain, to heavy rain, to stormy, to snow and sleet, to cloudy and light rain, and then back to drizzle (who knew there were so many variations for precip, but I guess when it goes on for eight months, variety somehow distracts from the wet reality).  

Anyway, given the start of the predictable Northwest rain, I decided about a month ago to adopt a “resident traveler’s mindset" (as I call it), in which I live my daily life at home as if I were a tourist. An experiment to see if I can enjoy the same pleasures even when I DO have a nagging to do list. I began asking myself, “If I were the visitor, where would I go, what would I do with an extra half hour?”

Washington Park Fountain, Portland
It started with a different approach to an evening cancelation (conveniently the last 70-something and sunny evening we had); instead of doing client billing, going home early to household chores, or any number of other productive pursuits, I opted for dinner at an outdoor table with big sunglasses and a non-work-related book; my dessert was a stroll through the Rose Gardens at dusk and a lingering half-hour on a park bench with my ipod tuned to classical. Completely entertained, I watched and listened to the diverse culture (maybe not Ethnically but stylistically and politically for sure). With lesser chunks of time, I wandered the streets (the very same streets I’ve driven and walked as a full time resident for 34 of my 37 years of life). Instead of a quick, on-a-mission walk, eyes down on my handheld, I look up! It's this mindset that allowed me to resist the productive urge on Saturday and leave the birthday party for a for a bowl of tomato soup by the fire at the hotel down the street. Today, after my morning workout, I opted for a little walk, down to Union Station, the Broadway Bridge, and back up through Old Town, during which I spotted old Amtrak trains, modern MAX trains, and the Portland Streetcar (I’m always fascinated by foreign transit – both the availability and the passengers). Just as I am when on vacation, I was differently aware of surrounding folks, both cautious (given I’m looking like an easy target with my laptop sticking out of my purse) and interested (noticed an older seemingly Amish guy sitting outside the train station, the couples walking arm in arm, and the grumpy-faced but well dressed shop girl on the phone at the upscale, but empty, furniture store).

In addition to noticing all this, I notice a marked change in me. With my traveler’s mindset, a cloudy day provides just the right light for photos, the skyline looks breathtaking from the Marquam Bridge (even while stuck in traffic), and the rain feels like a moody backdrop, like a the well-timed movie score (think English Patient). Have I been less productive during this little experiment? Yes. Have I been productive enough? YES! And, I’m realizing that spending these little 30-90 minutes windows as a resident traveler helps me manage the day-to-day grind (and the rain) with less lament and more content. While I’m still unlikely to pass up another opportunity to tag-along for a transatlantic adventure, I’m also enjoying my home base with a different level of appreciation.

So, here I sit outside Kornblatts with corned beef hash and latte, the sun streaming through the changing leaves (maybe the last time I’ll see that big orb for a while), and the sounds of a sax player down the block. The traveler in me is closing the laptop, reaching for sunglasses and taking it all in.

---------------

More info on Portland destinations mentioned above (If you’re not in Portland, adopt your own “resident traveler’s mind” by thinking gardens, cafes, architecture, history – you can’t go wrong):

International Rose Test Gardens and Washington Park: Even with the blooms nearly gone, the Rose Gardens provide a relaxing escape. If you’re a tennis player, reserve a court with a view (or just test your luck and maybe wait a few). Or, sit and relax with a picnic at the amphitheater or one of many park benches. A brief walk down the hill takes you to the wooded Washington Park, offering an urban oasis with quaint kids play area, picnic tables, green space, and beautiful views.  

Union Station – Stepping into the station, opened in 1896 (currently undergoing renovation), takes you back in time. Stroll across the nearby pedestrian bridge for views of the Freemont, Broadway, and Steel Bridges.

Portland Streetcar – Nothing like a streetcar to see the city from a tourist’s perspective, the benefit of Portland’s decades of urban planning.

Kornblatts – This deli has been here as long as I can remember (next to Escape from New York Pizza – another old fave). Best bagels in town, and the pickles and corned beef (amongst other things) are great too. An old-school greasy spoon with great people watching.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Your combination of English lit and Psychology have certainly worked well for you! I still enjoy watching you "grow up" and into such an introspective and interesting woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These places are beautiful 3 day tour from new york is one of those things which can be like nothing else but certainly works generally.

    ReplyDelete