A place to share daily grind challenges, perspective altering experiences, and ah-ha moments.

November 15, 2012

Losing My Sh#@!


I’m a pretty capable person, typically aware of my strengths and liabilities. One of the things that I thought was a strength was my parenting skill, but today I’m not so sure.

Not looking ready to leave in 6 minutes.
Here you see my little girl six minutes before our scheduled school departure this morning. As I snapped the pic of her lying naked on the kitchen floor, complaining of being cold but refusing to put on her clothes, I knew that I needed to brace myself for the next 15 minutes. I knew she was hungry and tired (her brother awoke her at 2:45am yelling LOUDLY due to growing pains), but knowing it wasn't enough to avoid the impending disaster. 

Lying in her bed until she returned to sleep at 3:30am, I expected that the morning would be challenging. When she crept into my bed at 5, the exhaustion scale shifted to a whole new level. We snuggled, me half asleep, she wide awake, full of chatter. As she asked me to fix breakfast at 5:30, I made the choice to shape her sleep patterns (and mine) by telling her it was still sleep time. I suggested she go downstairs to get a yogurt if she couldn’t wait, but, of course, she’d rather snuggle. Given her history with blood sugar, I should've known it would behoove me to walk down the stairs and get the yogurt myself, but then I’d be "giving in," limiting her competence, and further reinforcing her dependence on me, right? More importantly, I was still clinging to my last few moments of interrupted sleep. 

At 6:45, her brother snuck into bed, and, shortly after, the phone rang; it was a call from daddy, who was out of town for work. Given the kiddos don't like to talk on the phone, I indulged their rambling conversation, giggles and teasing for about 10 minutes, even though we were now within 45 minutes of scheduled departure. You may think 45 minutes is plenty of time to eat and dress, and for my seven-year-old, that’s true. For this particular four-and-a-half-er, 60 minutes seems to be the sweet spot. Again, I made a choice, overlooking my history with her and prioritizing the benefit of connecting with daddy. Maybe at that point I should've accepted that we would go late to school (as I’ve done a time or two). On the other hand, that would reinforce the idea that she doesn’t have to do what she doesn’t want, and it would punish my rule-following first grader who dressed and readied himself on time. With that reasoning, I continued on my path to the deadline.

Not new to the dressing struggle with this kiddo, I patiently helped her select her clothes to put on at her leisure as I cooked breakfast.  I made breakfast and lunches while she wriggled around the floor, putting on her tights and promptly removing them because they were "not right" (code for "I don't want anything touching me before I've eaten"). Normally I wouldn’t even attempt the tights, but given that her patient pre-K teacher just talked with us last week about getting leggings or tights on her for warmth and appropriateness (did I mention she’s also a bit of an exhibitionist?), I’ve been trying to add leg coverings to our routine (with limited success). Aware that power struggles never end well, I ate and perused Pinterest, while acting completely detached from any outcome related to her eating or dressing (reverse psychology 101). I watched the clock tick and waited for her to decide she was ready to eat and dress, as I reminded her every couple minutes of our remaining time until “mommy helps you.” On most days, this works.

A little backstory for those of you who don't know us personally: I am a rule follower, my first born is a rule follower, my husband and daughter, not so much. He told me when she was six weeks old - "I hope you're prepared - she's me in a dress." I thought, "What do you know? She's six weeks old!" Turns out he was more right than he's ever been. I console myself with anecdotes from moms of “independent” little girls who say it gets easier and that the teen years are a breeze compared with friends whose daughters have been great until 12 and then get defiant. I'm not sure if I believe them, but I'm holding onto the possibility. I feel my real age outpace my biological age with each time sensitive departure. Hearing myself warn that we'll have to stay home from gymnastics or whatever "if you can't get yourself ready and use nice words," I wonder if it’s helping or hurting to keep her from pursuits that may channel her energy and build discipline. On the flip side, how much stress is gymnastics (or anything) really worth? I remind myself of the outcome studies of willful children - that they typically fare well as adults. I console myself with the belief that my daughter won't be a follower; she’ll stand up for herself (even if she ends up the ring leader of future rebellion). I know my neuropsychology and the biological limits of her impulse control at age four, something my husband laughs about saying, “You’ll be saying that when she’s 25.” Maybe he’s right again, but when "I hate you" rolls off her tongue, it enables me to let it roll off my back with a calm retort like, "you sound pretty mad."  

So why does the morning rush always suck me in?! On a morning like this, sleep deprived myself, I lost my sh#@! By the end, she'd hit me, for what I don’t know; I was threatening to hire the nanny daily and tossing around “GD”s like a trucker (let’s hope they don’t repeat that at school). Fuming, I forcibly pulled on her shirt and uniform, feeling like I was breaking a horse, but a horse with one last kick, wrestling on her tights, only to have her pull them back off, again. Amidst the “help” with her clothes, coffee went flying. I grabbed a sponge and took my rage out on the au lait coated floors, giving me just enough time to regain my composure before walking outside in earshot of neighbors. “Deep breaths, deep breaths” I told myself as I walked to the car, put down her backpack and plate of eggs, and turned back to the house to collect her.

There she was, sobbing and yelling, barefoot on the front steps. It was a sad sight, even for an enraged mom. Silently, I took the hand of my defeated four-and-a-half year old. We walked down the steps to the car, she struggling to speak through her tears, "you're so mean." My rage shifted to remorse, and I thought the worst was over. But we had one last stand: the seatbelt, which she unbuckled twice, again forcing my hand. In retrospect, I could've waited then for the full crest and fall of her meltdown, but I was still thinking of my poor seven-year-old, covering his ears and rolling down his window to escape from his little sister's tantrum. I felt bad for him until he threw in “this is why I wish I didn’t have a sister” to which I snapped back, “this is partially your fault for yelling and waking her up!” Low blow, I know. Not proud.

Still refusing food, but at least tolerating the belt momentarily, I stepped on the gas (thankfully avoiding fatalities on our biker heavy street). Two minutes later, as I parked at school, she was hyperventilating. Starting to feel the dopamine chase away my adrenaline rush, and heartbroken that our interaction had deteriorated so quickly, I invited her to my lap, still without tights or shoes. I held her close, stroking her tangled mess of hair to ease her breathing (brushing was way more than I was going to take on today). After a minute or two, she quietly started sucking up her applesauce pouch, followed by inhaling her scrambled eggs and half a granola bar.

Her typical animated self.
Within moments, she was different. Animated, chatty and smiling, she willingly put on her tights, shoes and sweater, as I wondered why this was so hard just 10 minutes earlier. She was over it, and I, a 38-year-old woman (and therapist who should know better) felt shell-shocked. Realizing I’d once again taken the bait of a frontal-lobe challenged four-year-old, I felt like a giant heel.

As usual, she chatted with classmates on the playground, took me on our daily tour around her classroom, and hugged and kissed me as if nothing had happened. I left hoping there might be a chance she’d forget this and avoid years of therapy at my hand.

Returning home, still troubled by the encounter, my tired mind raced… How did I let this happen? I know the pattern, why can’t I interrupt it? I consider the conflicting parenting approaches in my head - an occupational hazard for sure. I need to be predictable, consistent, not find myself in a battle of wills. I have a star chart, but even keeping up with that feels exhausting. Maybe I just don’t have the energy for motherhood. Was it just the sleep deprivation last night or am I becoming generally impatient?  Do I need to be less disciplined about getting to school on time to acknowledge her rhythms, or more rigid about getting up earlier to allow room for her pace? Yesterday was so perfect! She dressed herself, ate, sang and walked calmly to school, arriving early. How did things go so wrong today? Will she ever outgrow this, and will I ever be good at it? And what the hell are we going to do when she's in puberty and I'm in menopause? 


--------STOP-----------



After a long day at the office, I’m back in the kitchen where it all started. I feel a surreal detachment from the morning’s events, but I'm still beating myself up for letting it escalate. I look again at the picture of my sweet girl (amazing how 12 hours will shift perspective) and feel an intense blend of sadness and love. I just want to cuddle her up in her little pink blankie and say “I’m sorry and I love you.” 

I hope that’s enough. 




No comments:

Post a Comment